Professor Neil Johnson
105 Remuera Rd
Remuera, Auckland 1050
09 524 1222
Papatoetoe Accident & Medical Centre
28 Hoteo Ave, Papatoetoe
09 278 5563
188 St Heliers Bay Rd
09 585 0190
Repromed Clinic, Women's Health Centre
83B Tristram Street
09 524 1232 or 07 838 3400
- Endometriosis Surgery
- Hysteroscopic Surgery
- MD University of Auckland, New Zealand 2009
- FRCOG Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (London, UK) 2007
- CREI Certificate in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 2003
- FRANZCOG Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 1997
- MRANZCOG Member of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 1996
- MRCOG Member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (London, UK) 1995
- MRCGP Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners (London, UK) 1994
- DCH Diploma in Child Health of the Royal College of Physicians (London, UK) 1994
- DRCOG Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (London, UK) 1991
- MBBS University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK 1988
- BMedSci (Hons) University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK 1987
Achievements and Awards
- 2017: Appointed as President of the World Endometriosis Society.
- 2014: Awarded Honorary Professorship in Reproductive Health at the University of Adelaide, Australia.
- 2014: Appointed as President Elect of the World Endometriosis Society.
- 2013 to date: Visiting Fellowship to University of Adelaide, through Professor Robert Norman, Director of The Robinson Institute.
- 2013: Appointment to Practice Committee of American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists (AAGL).
- 2013: Co-author of first prize winner of the Auckland District Health Board Celebration week poster competition 2013 for poster ‘A randomized controlled trial of fallopian sperm perfusion compared with standard intrauterine insemination for women with non-tubal infertility’ (authors Farquhar CM, Brown J, Arroll N, Gupta D, Boothroyd CV, Al Bassam M, Moir J, Johnson NP.
- 2011: Appointment as Vice President of the World Endometriosis Society.
- 2011: Auckland University Medical Students’ Association Award for the Best Lecture at Medical School from MBChB Class of 2011.
- 2010: Auckland University Medical Students’ Association Award for the Best Lecture for MBChB Year 2.
- 2009: MD conferred by University of Auckland for thesis entitled ‘Lipiodol fertility enhancement’
- 2009: Prize Lecture delivered on behalf of the Fertility Society of Australia, to the Joint Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) and British Fertility Society, London, UK, April 2009, entitled ‘PCOSMIC Wars: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Metformin for Infertility with Clomiphene’.
- 2008: Award for Best Clinical Paper at the Fertility Society of Australia ASM (Brisbane, Australia) for ‘PCOSMIC - PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome, Metformin for Infertility with Clomiphene: a multi-centre randomised controlled trial’. (The first time this award has been received twice by any clinician, 2003 and 2008.)
- 2008: Auckland University Medical Students’ Association Award for the Best Lecture for MBChB Year 2.
- 2008: Auckland University Medical Students’ Association Award for the Best Guest Lecturer for MBChB Year 2.
- 2008: Auckland University Medical Students’ Association Award for the Best Entertainer for MBChB Year 2.
Associations and Memberships
- Convener of the ‘World Endometriosis Society 2017 Vancouver Consensus on Patient Centered Outcomes in Endometriosis’, Vancouver, Canada, May 2017.
- President Elect of the World Endometriosis Society 2014 to 2017.
- Convener of the ‘World Endometriosis Society 2014 Sao Paulo Consensus on the Diagnosis and Classification of Endometriosis’, Sao Paulo, Brazil, May 2014.
- Member of (2013 to date) and Visiting Professor to (2014 to date) The Robinson Institute, Adelaide, Australia.
- Member of the American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists (AAGL) Practice Committee 2013 to date.
- Member of the World Health Organisation Expert Working Group on the Management of Subfertility - my role is to advise on the investigation of suspected endometriosis and unexplained infertility (2012 to date).
- RANZCOG accredited colposcopist 2012 to date.
- Convener of the ‘World Endometriosis Society 2011 Montpellier Consensus on the Management of Endometriosis’, Montpellier, France, September 2011.
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Human Reproductive Sciences (2010 to date).
- Chairperson of the Organising Committee for RANZCOG Joint Meeting with the Asia Oceania Congress of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Auckland, March 2009.
- Member of the European Society of Human Reproduction & Embryology (ESHRE) International Special Interest Group in Endometriosis & Endometrium (SIGEE).
- Associate Editor for the Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (ANZJOG) (2008 to date).
- World Endometriosis Society Board Member (invitation to join the board in 2008, to date).
- Supervising trainer of RANZCOG Trainees in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility (2007 to date).
- Research Director, shareholder and Deputy Medical Director of IVF-Auckland (2007 to date).
- Acceptance of an invitation from RANZCOG in 2005 to chair the organising committee for the RANZCOG Annual Scientific Meeting in Auckland in 2009.
- Advisor to Head of Department on departmental promotion applications to Associate Professor and Senior Lecturer above the bar respectively (2005).
- Member (2004 to date) of Certificate of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility RANZCOG Subspecialty Training Committee.
- Certificate of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility RANZCOG Examiner for subspecialty written (2004 to date) and oral (2004 to date) examinations.
- Certificate of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility RANZCOG Examination Committee Member and Member of RANZCOG Board of Examiners (2004 to date).
- Board member of Endometriosis New Zealand, formerly known as the New Zealand Endometriosis Foundation (2004 to date).
- Member of the Fertility Society of Australia (2003 to date).
- Member (1998 to date), External Peer Reviewer (1999 to date) and Editor (2000 to date) of the Cochrane Menstrual Disorders and Subfertility Group.
- Member of the Australian Gynaecological Endoscopy Society (2002 to date).
- Member of fertilityNZ (formerly known as the New Zealand Infertility Society) (2003 to date).
- Member of Appointment Committee for Postgraduate Chair in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (2002).
- Financial Convener and Organising Committee Member for the RANZCOG Annual Scientific Meeting (September 2003).
Auckland Gynaecology Group
105 Remuera Road
Remuera, Auckland 1050
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility Subspecialist and Deputy Medical Director
105 Remuera Road
Remuera, Auckland 1050
- Honorary Professor in Reproductive Health
University of Adelaide, Australia
- Honorary Associate Professor in O&G
University of Auckland
Research Specialties / Career:
I have continued with my passionate interest in clinical research after leaving my full-time academic position at the University of Auckland in 2010. At 20 Feb 2016, I had 114 peer-reviewed journal publications including those in press (59 as first author). The following principles underpin my research program:
- Use of a wide repertoire of research methodologies to fully assesses a clinical intervention (for example with the lipiodol fertility treatment research programme):
- Definition of a research agenda for numerous clinical studies by systematic review work;
- Survey of patients and clinicians to assess acceptability and current practice;
- Laboratory based clinical studies of immuno-biological and molecular biological mechanisms of effect;
- Focus on and commitment to randomised controlled trials (RCTs) as the highest level of clinical evidence;
- Large observational studies of innovative treatments to confirm post-trial efficacy and to detect rare adverse events.
- Development of collaborations with science colleagues in order to support clinical work with laboratory-based scientific research;
- Establishment of an infertility clinical research collaboration between the major New Zealand and now Australasian clinical research centres.
- Establishment of Australasian and global consensus collaborations.
- Patient-centred engagement to attain consensus regarding appropriate research avenues.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Convenor of the Sao Paolo Consortium - Consensus on the diagnosis and classification of endometriosis.
- The LUBE Study: a pilot randomised trial of Lipiodol Uterine Bathing Effect, linking endometrial microarray and immunochemistry characteristics to clinical outcomes.
- The IVF-LUBE Study - Randomised Trial of Lipiodol Uterine Bathing Effect in women with endometriosis or repeat implantation failure undergoing IVF.